Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pick up day

Well, the purchase date was Friday, My father-in-law and I headed out to pick her up the next day.  Rain was in the forecast, so we were in a bit of a rush.  After cleaning out all of the things that would blow out as we trailered her, we drained out about a hundred gallons of water.  I pulled the wheels off and headed to the tire store. $140 later with two new tires, we were back at the boat.  I removed the hubs and greased the bearings.  They looked pretty good, however, the inner seals were both shot, so those will need to be replaced sometime soon.  The outer wheel nut covers were both missing, and now I can see why; the flange that holds the covers has pretty much been broke, knocked, or otherwise been busted off the hubs.  I am not quite sure what to do with these yet, I will have to play that by ear.

A bit more prep tying things down and we were on the road headed for home.  The trip was pretty uneventful, all went smoothly and she towed quite well, considering she still had almost a hundred gallons of water still in her that we could not easily get out.

Once home, We finaggled the trailer around to find her a nice resting place outside, but close to the shop for the next phase of her restoration.  All this was going perfectly until I swung the car a bit wide and tapped a nice big tree with the side mirror of my car and ended up giving the local dealership a $60 bill for the parts to fix that. I guess if that’s the only thing that went wrong, I was pretty lucky.  It is expensive to be stupid!
The rains came and we blocked up the trailer and threw a cover over her quick, and called it a day.

Day One: 6 hours work, 6 hours total. $259 invested.

No comments:

Post a Comment